Dial West Cheshire is taking part in a lockdown-friendly event which aims to help replace some of the fundraising which has been lost due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Dial West Cheshire relies heavily on individual fundraisers, donations and fundraising events throughout the year. At this time of year we would usually be popping up at various events inviting you to join us in the glorious sunshine. Understandably, these cannot occur during social distancing.
As the Virgin Money London Marathon cannot take place as planned, its organisers have created the 2.6 challenge, which is easy for anyone to join in and make a difference, especially for smaller charities.
Every small “event” can add up to something worthwhile. All supporters need to do is dream up an activity based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 which suits their skills and donate or fundraise for Dial West Cheshire from Sunday 26 April, when the marathon was due to take place.
Examples include running, walking or rolling 2.6 (or 26!) miles, baking 26 fairy cakes, or even listening to 26 podcasts! Let your imagination run wild!
Hugh Brasher, Co-Chair of MSO and Event Director of London Marathon Events said: “For many of the UK’s charities, the day of the London Marathon is the biggest fundraising day of the year. One of the founding pillars of the London Marathon was ‘to show how the family of mankind can be united’. “We hope that The 2.6 Challenge, which starts on the day our 40th Race should have taken place, will embody that spirit and inspire people, families and communities to fundraise for their chosen charity to help Save the UK’s Charities. Right now, our vulnerable members of society need the help of charities more than ever before.”
How To Take Part
- Think of the activity you would like to do. For example, “I’m going to do a 26 minute danceathon live on Facebook for my friends and family to watch”
- Visit justgiving.co.uk and set up an account using their easy to follow instructions
- Select “I’m raising money for a charity” and choose Dial West Cheshire
- Share the unique link to your Just Giving page on your social media, email it to friends or share it on your WhatsApp groups asking them to sponsor you for your chosen activity and watch as you get closer and closer to your target. The money is sent straight to Dial West Cheshire. Alternatively, you can donate directly to our Just Giving page yourselves, here.
- Tell us what you’re doing, share pictures/videos of you doing it and send them to email@example.com or share them on our Facebook or Twitter pages.
We would love to see the amazing challenges you come up with. We’re busy thinking up our own challenges right now! Watch this space to see what we get up to.
And finally, a very big thank you for taking part and helping Dial West Cheshire to continue to be there for those in the community who need us.
If you have any questions about the challenge, email firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to us live on Facebook messenger.